Madurai, 3 May 2012: Even as the controversial self-styled godman Nityananda on Wednesday threatened to sue Saivite mutt heads for daring to question his pontiffship of Madurai aadheenam, the Madras high court has been moved against him.
Gurusamy Desikar, manager of Madurai office of Mayiladuthurai-based Dharumapuram Aadheenam has filed a habeas corpus petition in the Madurai bench seeking to produce Arunagirinatha Sri Gnanasambanda Desika Paramacharya Swamigal, the 292nd pontiff of Madurai Aadheenam, who declared Nityananda as his successor.
In his petition, he submitted that a meeting of Saivite mutt heads at Mayiladuthurai on Tuesday passed a resolution seeking the removal of Nityananda from his pontiffship as he under the guise of religion has been indulging in wrongful activities.
His pontiffship, the petitioner said, was against the norms of Saiva Siddhantha philosophy.
Though aadheenam is vested with the powers to name his successor, there are certain customs and traditions which have been flouted in this case.
Arunagirinatha Swamigal is not in good frame mind and is totally under the custody of Nityananda, he said. Claiming that the latter has planned to send him abroad, the petitioner sought to produce him before the court.
Solaikannan, a functionary of Hindu Makkal Katchi, also filed a petition on similar lines. He said the pontiffship of Nithyananda, who is facing several charges including sexual harassment and tax evasion, stands illegal.
He also said nobody other than his men is allowed to meet Arunagirinatha Swamigal who has been threatened. He prayed that the government take over Madurai mutt and protect its properties.
Meanwhile, Nityananda in a crowded press conference in the mutt located near Meenakshi temple accused the other Saivite mutt heads of defaming him and his predecessor. “They never asked me an explanation.
Had they asked and if it were not satisfactory, I would have given up the pontiffship. But I was denied the opportunity,” he said.
He said his Nityananda Peetam has decided to sue those mutt heads who had passed resolutions against him.
His followers would also launch a fast before Dharumapuram aadheenam if they fail to withdraw the resolutions. – Deccan Chronicle, Chennai, 3 May 2012
Nithy’s devotees threaten defamation suits and more …
Madurai, 3 May 2012: Godman Nithyananda on Wednesday warned the heads of the 13 Saivaite Mutts, who passed resolutions against his anointment as the 293rd pontiff of the Madurai Aadheenam, that his devotees have decided to file defamation suits against them.
Briefing reporters on the premises of Madurai Aadheenam, the controversial godman said the followers of the Nithyananda Dhyana Peetam were ‘constrained’ to approach the courts as his side was not given a chance to explain its position. “It is regrettable that the heads of the mutts have taken a decision without seeking an explanation from me. We have tried to meet the heads of the mutts in person to explain our position. But, they have declined the offer,” he said.
The pronouncement of the heads of the mutts that Nithyananda’s appointment was against the traditions of the mutt, has hurt the devotees of Dhyana Peetam, the godman said, while adding, “Moreover the decision of the heads of the mutt was defamatory.”
Stating that his devotees have decided to stage a fast in front of the Dharumapuram Aadheenam, he said, “They will also send an appeal to the government, signed with their blood, to book a case against the heads of the mutt under section 295 A of IPC, for hurting religious sentiments.”
Defending his decision to accept the position, he said: “I have accepted the responsibility only to propagate Saivism and the services rendered by the mutt throughout the world. We have decided to establish branches of the Madurai mutt in 40 countries in the next six months.”
Anticipating that his appointment would “trigger controversy”, he had suggested that his disciple, Gnana Sorubananda, be anointed the 293rd pontiff instead. “However, the incumbent did not accept the proposal,” he said.
“I accepted the responsibility only after consulting the former and present officers of the Hindu Religious and Endowments Department. I vow that I will not take any steps to sell the property of the mutt,” he added.
Arunagirinatha Desikar, the 292nd pontiff of the mutt, who was also present at the press meet, said there was “no transgression of rules” in anointing Nithyananda as the junior aadheenam of the mutt. “He was anointed after giving seven Dikshas as per tradition,” he said.
On the averment of the heads of the mutt about taking legal course against the appointment of Nithyananda, Arunagirinatha Desikar said, “We will also face it legally.”
On Tuesday, during a meeting held in Dharumapuram in Mayiladuthurai of Nagappattinam district, the heads of 13 Saivite Mutts resolved to urge the 292nd pontiff of the Madurai Aadheenam to reconsider his decision to anoint the controversial godman Nithyananda. – Express News Service, Madurai, 3 May 2012
Gnanasambanda Desikar denies being in illegal custody
The 292nd pontiff of Madurai Aadheenam, Sri Arunagirinatha Gnanasambanda Desikar, filed an affidavit in the Madras High Court Bench here on Thursday refuting allegations that he was under the illegal custody of Nithyananda of Bidadi in Karnataka.
Filing the affidavit in reply to a habeas corpus petition filed by T. Gurusamy Desikar (80), manager of Dharmapuram Mutt here, the pontiff stated that the case had been filed with “imaginary information without verifying essential facts and actual truth.”
The affidavit, filed through his counsel Veera Kathiravan, stated that the petitioner had no locus standi to file such a case and that it was a clear abuse of process of law. It also accused the habeas corpus petitioner of filing the case with the intention of gaining publicity.
“I have been meeting the devotees every day at my Madurai Aadheenam. I also met all the general public and press people and gave a public statement on May 2 in Madurai in order to clear all unwarranted rumours… But the conduct of the petitioner is insulting, scandalous and motivated by malice.
“The petitioner herein is not known to me and he has filed this petition only with the intention of belittling me and the image of my Madurai Aadheenam in the eyes of the public.
I am fully eligible, empowered and competent to manage, administer and appoint my successor for Madurai Aadheenam.”
The pontiff also stated that he had no plans to go abroad as claimed by the petitioner. “The imputations made by the petitioner have brought disgrace and humiliation to the entire Madurai Aadheenam and its devotees. I reserve my right to proceed against the petitioner as per the provisions of both the civil and criminal law,” he added.
A Division Bench comprising Justice M. Sathyanarayanan and Justice D. Hariparanthaman adjourned the hearing to Friday and ordered the High Court Registry to post the case along with a public interest litigation petition filed by M. Solaikannan of Hindu People’s Party.
The PIL petition, filed through advocate W. Peter Ramesh Kumar, alleged that Nithyananda had managed to get himself appointed as the 293rd pontiff of Madurai Aadheenam by taking Gnanasambanda Desikar under his illegal custody with the muscle power of “henchmen” brought from Karnataka.
He wanted the Court to direct the State government to take control of the Aadheenam by appointing a committee headed by a retired High Court judge.
He also sought police protection for the ongoing Chithirai festival in Madurai apprehending some kind of disturbances to Nithayananda’s supporters. – The Hindu, Chennai, 4 May 2012
- Madurai Aadheenam: Hindus outraged at Nithy’s appointment as pontiff – Media Reports http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/madurai-aadheenam-hindus-outraged-at-nithys-appointment-as-pontiff-media-reports/
- Nithyananda gets Paramacharya Swamigal title, gives Madurai Aadheenam one crore rupees – Media Reports http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/nithyananda-gets-paramacharya-swamigal-title-gives-madurai-aadeenam-one-crore-media-reports/
- “Nithyananda insulting judiciary, Hinduism” – Hindu Makkal Katchi http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2011/07/18/nithyananda-insulting-judiciary-hinduism-hindu-makkal-katchi/
- CID charges Nithyananda with rape, sodomy, cheating, conspiracy, and criminal intimidation – Media Reports http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2010/11/30/cid-charges-nithyananda-with-rape-sodomy-cheating-conspiracy-and-criminal-intimidation-media-reports/
- Nithyananda-Ranjitha sex tape not tampered – CID http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2010/06/10/nithyananda-ranjitha-sex-tape-not-tampered-cbi/
- Nithy arrested in Himachal Pradesh – Media Reports http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/tantrika-nityananda-arrested-in-himachal-pradesh-media-reports/
- Sex, lies, a feature film, Nithy & Ranjitha – Kunal M. Shah http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2010/04/06/sex-lies-a-feature-film-nithy-and-ranjitha-kunal-m-shah/
- Nithy resigns from ashram and associated trusts – Media Reports http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2010/03/30/nithy-resigns-from-ashram-trusts-
- Nithy’s Defence Team: Sexist, Racist, and Xenophobic – Ishwar Sharan http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/hindu-activists-sexist-racist-xenophobic-ishwar-sharan/
- The Nithyananda Mea Culpa Interview? – Rajiv Malhotra http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/video-the-nityananda-mea-culpa-interview-rajiv-malhotra/
- Debutante Dharma-Gurus: Violating a civilizational patent – Sandhya Jain http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2010/03/21/debutante-dharma-gurus-violating-a-civilisational-patent-sandhya-jain/
- Nithyananda videos: A testing time for Hindus – Radha Rajan http://bharatabharati.wordpress.com/2010/03/05/nityananda-videos-a-testing-time-for-hindus-radha-rajan/
- All videos available at http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nithyananda+ranjitha+videos&aq=1&oq=nithyananda+ranjitha
Filed under: acharya, ashrams, corruption, culture, ethics, godman, hindu, hinduism, india, legitimizing power, media, newspaper, psychological warfare, religion, sadhus, sanatana dharma, sanyasi, sex scandal, shiva, tamil nadu, temples, tv, yoga Tagged: | madurai aadheenam, nithyananda, nithyananda sex scandal, paramacharya swamigal, paramahamsa nithyananda, ranjitha, sex video, shaiva siddhanta mutts