The Chairman of apex court appointed committee, MV Nair on Friday said: “Today we will prepare an inventory of the items in ‘E’ and ‘F’ vaults. It has been decided to open ‘C’ vault on Monday. That is the present decision.”
The decision was taken at a meeting of the experts’ committee constituted by the Supreme Court for inventorying and scientifically documenting the priceless treasures found in the vaults of the temple.
A group of experts appointed by the Supreme Court began examining on Monday treasures unearthed from the Sree Padmanabhaswamy temple last year estimated to be around $22 billion.
The bare-chested men in white mundus entered the 16th-century temple under the steely gaze of armed commandos to draw up a list of jewels and coins discovered from five subterranean vaults.
Using laser and digital archiving techniques, members of the panel will identify the treasures, standing for days inside a temporary control room created by temple authorities for the process to be completed.
The sacks of ornaments, gold and silver coins, stone-studded crowns, idols and figurines inlaid with precious stones and jewels have an estimated value that is twice what India spent on education last year.
A $22 billion treasure trove unearthed beneath the temple had ignited a fierce political and public debate over ownership and how best to put the vast wealth to use.
The 500-year-old temple, dedicated to Lord Vishnu, is unique in terms of architecture and mythology, with legends of a curse protecting the long-hidden treasure.
To its rareness, the temple possess six secret ‘nilavara’ A, B, C, D, E and F (vaults to keep the assets safely). Opening of each of these cavities reveal a virtual treasure trove with valuable ornaments, unusual antique silver and brass dishes and many golden idols of deities. – DNA, Mumbai, Feb. 24, 2012
- Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple: The inside story – Choodie Shivaram
- Vault B of Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple not to be opened now – TOI
- Sree Padmanabhaswamy: Mysteries of a temple vault and of the universe – Ravi Shankar Etteth
- Padmanabhaswamy Devaprasnam: Don’t open vault B! – Media Reports
- There’s a complete record of the Padmanabhaswamy Temple treasures – R. Nagaswamy
- Hostages of fortune: Hindu deities and their wealth – George Augustine
- Sri Padmanabha Swamy has been roused! – Sandhya Jain
- Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple: The Supreme Court as supreme vandal – Radha Rajan
- The Padmanabha treasure belongs to Lord Padmanabha – R. Nagaswamy
- Integrity: The Padmanabha dasas and today’s political class – S. Gurumurthy
- Padmanabha Temple treasure and British loot – Senthil